The American Botanical Council will present its annual awards for botanical excellence online Tuesday at 5 p.m. EDT. Celebration and rewards will be available through the board Facebook page and Youtube channel.
âABC has always been a scientific organization and most of our awards reflect the direction of ABC’s scientific research,â said ABC Founder and CEO Mark Blumenthal. âAlthough we may only choose a few people for our awards each year, ABC’s awards process aims to honor all who are engaged in scientific and clinical research on herbs, herbal medicines, herbal medicines, oils. essential, medicinal mushrooms and associated natural ingredients. with therapeutic benefits. “
Participation in the online event is free, but registration is required. Visit the ABC calendar page for more information and for RSVP.
Six prizes are awarded each year:
- ABC James A. Duke Award of Excellence in Botanical Literature is intended for books that contribute significantly to the medicinal plant literature and to the fields of botany, taxonomy, ethnobotany, pharmacognosy, phytomedicine, mycology, and other related disciplines. Last year’s award went to âFlora of the Voynich Codex: An Exploration of Aztec Plants,â co-authored by Arthur O. Tucker, Ph.D., and Jules Janick, Ph.D.
- ABC Norman R. Farnsworth Award of Excellence in Botanical Research is intended for significant research contributions in the fields of pharmacognosy, ethnobotany, ethnopharmacology or other scientific disciplines related to medicinal plants. Professor Rachel Mata, Ph.D., pharmacist, pharmacognosist and natural products researcher, received this award in 2020.
- ABC Varro E. Tyler Business Investment Award in Phytomedicine Research is awarded to a botanical ingredients, dietary supplement, and / or herbal medicine company that invests heavily in human clinical research to support the authenticity, safety and efficacy of its ingredients or products. Napo Pharmaceuticals, based in San Francisco, Calif., Received this award last year.
- ABC Fredi Kronenberg Excellence in Research and Education in Botanicals for Women’s Health Award is presented to a researcher, educator and / or clinician who promotes the scientific study and clinical use of herbal and herbal medicines for women’s health problems. In 2020, Mary L. Hardy, MD, a board-certified internist, received the award for her work in botanical and integrative medicine and leadership in integrative oncology.
- ABC Champion Award honors the outstanding ABC supporters who have helped the organization promote and achieve its nonprofit research and education mission, whether through financial support or contributions of their own time . Thomas Brendler, founder of the consulting firm PlantaPhile, received the award a year ago.
- ABC Mark Blumenthal Herbal Community Builder Award honors individuals who have played an important role in creating a sense of community among herbalists, botanical researchers, members of the herbal and natural products communities and industries, and others who work in various fields medicinal and aromatic plants. Last year’s recipients were Mary Blue, Katheryn Langelier and Nicole Telkes – three herbalists who became the face of the âTradition Not Trademarkâ movement when they were sued for trademark infringement and fought in court to keep the “fire cider” a generic herbal product. term.
The awards are traditionally presented at Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, California. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Expo is taking place online. Sponsors of this year’s ABC Celebration and Botanical Excellence Awards are Alkemist Labs, Amin Talati Wasserman, ChromaDex, Euromed, EuroPharma, Horphag Research, Indena, MegaFood, New Chapter, Informa, NOW Health Group, RT Specialty, United Natural Products Alliance and Greenery Sciences.