Reagan Hinckley’s would-be assassin was fully released on Wednesday, New York show canceled

John Hinckley Jr., the former Highland Park resident who shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981, was fully released from court restraints on Wednesday, eager to launch a music career at an already sold-out concert in Brooklyn next month.

But, by noon, the venue had canceled the show due to threats.

In an Instagram post, Market Hotel announced that it was canceling Hinckley’s July 8 show. The venue cited threats and hatred directed at the community after the event was announced.

“We believe that ex-convicts and people with mental illness can recover, and that we should I want them to remain hopeful that they can improve and earn a chance to reintegrate into society…but these are dangerous times,” Market Hotel wrote in the post.

Hinckley announced the show as part of his “Redemption Tour” via Twitter on April 8, before posting that it had sold out on April 12.

He also has a show at Chicago’s Logan Square Auditorium on July 23. The venue’s social media is unclear as to whether the event is still taking place.

“If we were to hold an event for principle and potentially put others at risk, it shouldn’t be for a stunt booking – no offense to the performer,” Market Hotel wrote.

During the assassination attempt outside the Washington Hilton, Hinckley also injured then-press secretary James Brady, U.S. Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy, and DC police officer Thomas Delahanty. Brady was paralyzed by a bullet to the head and later died in 2014 following the incident. Brady and his wife, Sarah, became prominent gun control advocates after the shooting.

Hinckley, a former resident of Highland Park and now an aspiring songwriter, was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982 and was confined for more than two decades to St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington D.C. In 2016, he was allowed to live full-time with his mother in Williamsburg, Virginia.

After his mother died in 2021, Hinckley moved out on his own and made money selling books online and items at an antique mall, according to The Associated Press.

On June 1, U.S. District Court Judge Paul L. Friedman granted Hinckley a full parole, which went into effect Wednesday, according to the AP.

“He was scrutinized. He passed all the tests. He is no longer a danger to himself or others,” Friedman said during the final hearing.

Following news of Hinckley’s full release, the Reagan Foundation issued a statement in opposition.

“The Reagan Foundation and Institute are both saddened and concerned that John Hinckley Jr. will soon be unconditionally released and intends to pursue a for-profit musical career,” the Reagan Foundation wrote in a statement. communicated. “We strongly oppose his release into society where he apparently seeks to cash in on his infamy.”

Prior to the assassination attempt, Hinckley was a musician and artist. He started posting original music on his YouTube channel established in November 2020. Among the songs he posted are “You and I are Free” and “Can’t We All Get Along”. He also sold artwork anonymously until a judge allowed him to publicly display writings, artwork and music in October 2020, according to the AP.

On the day a judge granted his full and unconditional release, Hinckley took to Twitter to thank his supporters and wrote, “What a strange long journey it’s been. Now is the time to rock and roll.

Over time, he amassed 28,400 YouTube subscribers and received a total of 985,929 views. On Twitter, he has gained 27,300 followers since joining in October 2021.

Flashback: photographing John Hinckley hours after the assassination attempt

About Christopher Rodgers

Check Also

Ruby Tui’s Local Connection Drives Boom in Book Sales

Hot off the heels of winning the Women’s Rugby World Cup, Ruby Tui’s book Directly …