- JT-Minnie Maude Charitable Trust Accepting Scholarship Applications: The JT-Minnie Maude Charitable Trust reminds non-traditional students of the trust’s next deadline, June 1, for submission of scholarship applications. Non-traditional students residing in Caswell, Danville / Pittsylvania, Halifax, Martinsville / Henry and Rockingham counties are encouraged to visit the trust website. www.jtmm.org for scholarship guidelines, instructions and how to apply.
- DRAWING LESSONS: Free basic drawing lessons are offered to active older adults at the YMCA South Boston / Halifax County at 11:30 am No membership required and no experience required. Registration is required by calling 434-572-8909. A Zoom link is provided for those who wish to attend virtually. Classes are offered by the Parsons Bruce Art Association and the YMCA South Boston / Halifax County.
- Senior Exercise Group Walk of Hope: The Halifax County Cancer Association benefit event will be held at the Halifax County High School bus parking lot starting at 7 a.m. Envelopes to raise funds for the Seniors Walk are available at the Recreation Center located at 1620. Jeffress Blvd. in South Boston.
- Make and Take Fairy Garden at the Halifax Farmers Market: The Southside Master Gardener Association will be offering a make-and-take-out fairy garden for kids from 9 a.m. to noon at the Halifax Farmer’s Market. Get the kids to participate in this fun event. For more information visit www.ssmga.org or call the Halifax Post Office Helpdesk at (434) 830-3383.
- Run for Justice: Race Director John Wilt announces the 20th annual Run for Justice Kid’s 2K, 5K Walk or 10K and 10K community events scheduled for June 12. All events will take place at Angler’s Park and Riverwalk Trail in Danville starting at 9 a.m. The kids’ race starts at 9:10 am The annual race for justice includes rewards, refreshments and door prizes. Running flyers have been mailed out or walkers or runners can pick up an entry form at the Brick Running & Tri Store, 410 Main Street. Participants can also register on the Danville Running & Fitness Club website or at the active.com. The race for justice is one of the activities of the professional chapter Alpha Upsilon Lambda of the American Criminal Justice Association-Lambda Alpha Upsilon. For more information, call 434-770-8822.
- HUNT-WALLER MEETING: The meeting will be held at the Mulberry Baptist Church in Nathalie. Religious service at 11:00 a.m. Lunch will be at 12:45 p.m. in the fellowship room with the option of eating outside in the picnic pavilion. Bring a picnic and photos to share. Contact Effie Mae at 434-349-6403 or Marie at 434-349-3310, for more information. Share this information with other family members.
- AARP MEETINGS: On September 1, the local AARP group may be able to meet again. More details will follow.
- AA MEETINGS: Halifax Alcoholics Anonymous meetings resumed in person on Saturday at noon (AA literature / book study) and Sunday (women’s discussion) at 5 p.m. at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 197 Mountain Road , Halifax. Meetings are also online. Masking and social distancing guidelines will be followed. The 7:30 a.m. online meetings are held on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These open meetings can be followed by phone or using the Zoom platform. To access in-person and online meetings, call the District Hotline 434-799-4111 or email [email protected]
The deadline for submitting articles to the bulletin board is Friday noon. Sent by e-mail to [email protected] Items are published as space permits.