Ashui Pavilion / HML Architecture
Text description provided by the architects. The Ashui Awards was established in 2012, which is a prestigious award in the construction industry in Vietnam. The Ashui Awards are likened to the “Oscar” of the Vietnamese architecture and construction industry. These events honor architects with outstanding achievements, affirming the role of architects in society. At the same time, honor new works of architecture of value, recognize reputable contractors, high quality construction engineering companies, real estate investors and developers with distinguished contributions to society. It can be said that this is a rare competition that has a positive impact on the development of the construction industry in Vietnam.
For 10 years, the Prize has helped connect members of architecture – construction – urban development in Vietnam. In addition, encourage positive creations that contribute to community development and social progress. The organizers of the competition have set up an exhibition space to honor the authors and the winning works and present the prizes to the public. The venue is at the Temple of Literature, Quoc Tu Giam, Hanoi. This temple was the first university in Vietnam, which is almost 1000 years old. This place is also a potential place to organize activities related to Hanoi’s creativity in the future, realizing the brand: “Hanoi, the creative city” recognized by Unesco in 2019. Selected location: Front courtyard of the Thai house Hoc, the Temple of Literature, Hanoi. The outdoor exhibition stage showcases the nominees of 10 award categories and the winning individuals and groups.
Concept – The Temple of Literature has the tangible values of Architecture and the intangible values of the Taoist spirit, which is a unique material that must be honored. We regard the entire Temple of Literature as a perfect exhibition space, a highlight of Hanoi. The extra step acts as a prism with a modern perspective, which reflects all this value as a message to preserve and develop the meaning of heritage for future generations. Inspired by the image of the star Khue, which is the symbol of literature, Khue Van Cac is the place where ancient poets always wanted to set foot, and make it the name of many ancient bards. 2022 Ashui Pavilion: The Khue, appeared and shone at the Temple of Literature, which honors individuals and collectives who have won the 2021 Ashui Awards and the legacy of the Temple of Literature.
The circular stage is structured by transparent glass panels, which are placed in the center of the courtyard, in front of the Thai Hoc house. There are 2 entrances to the square stage in the middle. The winners and recipients are on the podium. Spatial arrangement with the concept of harmony between Heaven, Human and Earth in the Tam Tai (Heaven, Earth and Human) theory of Eastern philosophy. Above the glass wall, the circle illuminates the entire stage area. The surrounding space is reflected in the circle as the background of the scene and allows visitors to interact directly, working as installation art. Moreover, the event was held as the Covid epidemic was breaking out all over the world and in Vietnam. Thus, the circle and the glass wall are the symbols of social division in the Covid zone. Public space has lost its sense of human connection. Thus, this design adapts to the current social context.
Technical solution – Due to the construction of the monument, the technical solutions must be installed independently without affecting the monument. The Khue exhibition space is a set of elements:
– The buildings of the Temple of Literature
– Steel frame system hangs the A0 panel of nominees in the final round of the award
– Glass circle of light as a reward scene
- The architectural works of the Temple of Literature in the Thai Hoc courtyard include the Tien Duong Thai Hoc house, the Huu Vu house, the Ta Vu house and the Thai Hoc gate. These buildings were designed specifically for lighting to highlight the architectural values of the Temple of Literature.
- The 13m diameter circle is combined by 20 full-size (1.84m x 2.44m) safety glass panels, 2 layers 8.38mm thick, joined together by glass panels 10mm tempered 300mm wide. This glazing system is mounted on a 10 mm thick corten steel plate, with flexible joints to adapt to the irregular floor of Thai Hoc House. A white painted steel ledge sits on top of the glass pillars, the lower lighting surface is a transparent ceiling with 6000k, CRI 90 white LED lights, which has the effect of connecting to the top of the flat glass panels . The use of corten steel plate (which is directly oxidized steel, with properties that change with time and time, creates the “color of time” as the base of support, the limit of the ground and the glass circle with the concept of the transition between the values of tradition towards the future.
- The steel frame system for hanging A0 panels is made of strong and thin steel according to 2.4m long, flexible independent modules linked together in 4 rows along 4 square sides of the Thai Hoc courtyard, the circle stage is placed in the middle. The whole center of the circle and the square is placed on the Shinto axis of the Temple of Literature.
- The exhibition runs for 1 month, so that the public and people who love art can enjoy it. Materials such as unheated double-glazed glass and steel are pre-calculated for reuse after exposure.